03 July 2019

In the Blue Ridge Mountains





Let every living thing
sing of the mercies of our God.
Let us exalt Him whenever we live
with thanksgiving and joy
in our hearts

If we don't praise Him
the mountains will.
If we don't exalt Him,
the rocks will cry out.

- Lawrence Chewning

It is a blissful 58 degrees F. I want to soak it all in as much as possible. My heart feels these woods like a home. I sit in the log cabin, at the back table with the door open. The sounds of the outside enter in, as well as the chilly air, fresh like a mountain spring. The sound of the small creek keeping rhythm with the chirping birds that go on all day. The forest is the happy place for them all, and the early morning is the best. They are at their most sing-song melody.

The chill is rustling, the air is still, the water gurgles over the rocks, and the white rhododendron speckle all the scenes with pretty blooms. Clusters of these flowers pop up everywhere in the summer.

I could sit here all day listening to the forest sounds. It is by far one of the most soothing sounds to me. I have my cup of coffee next to me, and my journal. I am good for a long while. I could honestly spend a good few days just listening here, and writing about it.

Sitting outside, writing under the canopy of tall green-leafed trees as tall as the sky. The rocks grow moss and the creek grows sound. The beauties of a place so full of peace and quiet. If the bears have a home close by, they keep quiet and stay in their forest depths, though that is where we are. In the depths of the forest. No large roads, no traffic, dirt and gravel one-track roads, 4,000 feet up in the mountains.

What is it about the most simple of things that make it the most soothing and restorative? The simple and yet complex pieces of God's creation is what I love. Just nature doing what nature was created to do. Grow, flourish, change with the seasons, soothe the soul.

Surely God created the beauty of the mountains like this with the idea that it would draw us closer to Him. That these tall, elegant trees, blooming flowers, and soothing streams would make us feel closer to His wisdom and creativity. In many ways, these natural elements were all created, and are pieces of God's imagination, which means we are getting a glimpse of the heavenly realm. A tiny insight into God's mind.

I forget how much I need this peacefulness of nature until I am here, one with the trees, with a mind on the rocks with moss, and a soul babbling down the creek. Happy and quiet. Soothed and restored.

The glory of God's creation can be huge and awe-inspiring, or soft and quiet. and each can draw us closer to our Creator.

No comments:

Post a Comment