17 July 2019

The Pathway to Waterfalls









Step out, take a deep breath, and take a little walk down into the ravine to approach the powerful waterfall. The sound will greet you before you can see it. The thrill of that first glimpse of the water fills you each step down the sloping walkway. And at last curving around one bend, you see the waterfall in its stunning normalcy. The water never takes a break, but is continuously flowing down the mountain, coming to this break in the landscape, providing a spectacular rush of nature, and continuing onward, downward.

This is a favourite waterfall for us to visit every time we come up here, Dry Falls. This time it was with mum, my brother, and my niece. I remember coming here as a kid, and loving the mystical, magical wonder of the place. This is where you get to walk underneath and behind the wall of water, which amazes me. It's loud, misty, cool, and slippery going behind the fall, but so worth it. It's like stepping through a doorway to a magical woodland realm lined with mosses, lichen, ferns, and all kinds of mountain greenery. 

This kind of landscape is nourishment to my imagination. These dense woodland trees and plants all hold secrets and hidden passages. The rocks hold ages of history as they slowly erode and are shaped and forms by weather and water. 

When I am walking along these paths (or any paths through the mountain forests) I see a worn away path that the elves use just over there. I look for the notches in the rocks that are the doorways into the mountains for the dwarves. My imagination watches for these myths to come to life. It makes the walk even more enjoyable. As my mind seeks out the stories, I am fed just by observing and paying attention. It's a beautiful world that we get to explore. What a gift it is to be able to take a little time to appreciate it.

No comments:

Post a Comment