24 March 2020

On Staying Home


The hopeless gate that holds in all the fears
That haunt your shadowed city, fling it wide
And open to the light that finds, and fares.
(Malcolm Guite)


My introverted self is getting all the alone, quiet vibes I never asked for these days. How are you doing if you are more extroverted? Aside from missing my trip to England (and feeling my heart yearn for it deeply every day), I am in another happy place. At home. In my peaceful, calm home and state of mind. I am working on some writing (if you would like the story of Selador to continue, I can tell you assuredly that it does), which I usually never have enough time for and now I actually have a little time for.  

I am now working from home as well, so I am in full self-isolation mode. Aside from supporting some of my favourite local restaurants/cafes by getting takeaway once in a while and going to the grocery only when needed, I am doing what we are all told to do, by staying home. 

With my home now becoming my work and my personal space, I am working on being aware of keeping the work life separate somehow without a desk or extra room to call my office. My kitchen table is my office. I do not overlook the fact that I am extremely blessed to be able to work from home and to continue to work, helping clients navigate this uncertain time. It is a season, and it will not last forever, but for the time being, I am sure it seems like it will never end.

Be encouraged. We are none of us alone in this strange state of isolation. There are those who have to be out there (doctors, nurses, bankers, postal workers, garbage workers, police,etc). Take comfort in that we all feel the same way - disturbed, lonely, emotional, sad, stressed, confused, isolated, etc.

Whilst we live in a time of unanswered questions, we always have one assurance that we can hold onto and never be disappointed in. Jesus goes with us through every emotion we feel, every sorrow we endure, and every sadness we linger in. Jesus promises that He will never leave us, even in the darkest times He is beside us. He is the Light we can fix our eyes of the heart on. I pray that you stay encouraged and focused on the good. 

But blessed is the one who trusts in the Lord, whose confidence is in him. They will be like a tree planted by the water that sends out its roots by the stream. It does not fear when heat comes; its leaves are always green. It has no worries in a year of drought and never fails to bear fruit.
(Jeremiah 17:7-8)

It is kind of funny how a few posts ago I wrote about how we are so busy in life, unable to truly slow down to listen and meditate in quiet. Now, in the midst of Lent we have all been forced to slow down and stay at home. Maybe this is a new thing we are all meant to embrace. Maybe we are supposed to pay attention to that and do something meaningful with it. What could that be?

No comments:

Post a Comment