26 March 2020

Imaginary Holiday








If the world were not topsy turvy right now I would be in London, Oxford, and out in the Cotswolds where the fresh air and rolling hills would be filling my soul. Since I cannot be there right now, I am appreciating my past trips and feeling ever-thankful of those lovely times by embarking on some imaginary holiday excursions. 

As Tolkien wrote regarding escapism that we sometimes feel we need:
Why should a man be scorned if, finding himself in prison, he tries to get out and go home? Or if, when he cannot do so, he thinks and talks about other topics than jailers and prison-walls? The world outside has not become less real because the prisoner cannot see it.

It is good to appreciate what we have been given. Our hearts and souls particularly need that now in these troubled and dangerous times. It is a danger different from what we are used to. We do not normally think about catching a virus (other than maybe a cold) as a danger of travel. We do not think about how our lives affect the lives of others around us. But now we do. We are staying home to protect ourselves as well as others. It is the right thing to do. We love others by doing it.

Our minds are awakened to new things in this isolated time. Our attention is draw to the strangeness we are now encountering. What can we do with it? That is something I have been pondering in between my daydreams of being in England, and hope to share on here in these coming days/weeks.

I reflect on my love of travel and the places I have been able to experience in a new light of appreciation, a little deeper than what I have always appreciated. Our free ability to travel to almost anywhere, if we just buy the ticket, is usually at our fingertips. Since now we are restricted in any  free travel, I feel that wall around me keenly, holding me still. I feel it personally since it affected my planned trip, completely cancelling it with no choice on my part, only about a week before I was set to leave.

My heart floods with love for these places I am missing right now. I see current photos on Instagram from people who live there, of the empty streets and closed shops, and I both miss it immensely, and am grateful to see that people are stay home and heeding the new rules in force. Also in these current photos I see, I notice that nature is not shutting down. It is bursting into Spring in all the lovely ways. It reminds me that even in the darkest of times, especially when all seems uncertain, there is always light to look for. There is always beauty to be seen and appreciated. And the glory of God is always present. That should bring us hope.

Hop over to Instagram to see more of my posts if you are interested as I stay sane by taking my imaginary holiday to England. Look for me @muddymusings

No comments:

Post a Comment