13 April 2018

Dean Village














I stumbled into the dwam,
following the river's ramble,
past old millstones, remnants
of lives before mine ever began,
greener than I could have known.

-Jane Yolen

Tucked away, just outside the Edinburgh city centre, down into the valley along the waters of Leith, is Dean Village. While it is about one and a half miles outside the centre, you feel like you are out in the country. It was one of the most charming little villages I've seen. You walk down cobbled lanes, and it makes you feel like you've gone back in time to a simpler place. But one that is oozing with loveliness.

The waters of Leith stream through the village, creating a sound of soothing ripples as the waters flow over rocks and down a small fall. A path follows the waters for miles to the village of Leith. We took to the path and followed it to St.Bernard's Well. What a lovely walk that was! It was like we were in the middle of a forest, mystical and shaded. In the valley, it was quiet, and you felt so far from a large city. The sounds of birds and the water made up the atmosphere.

The textures ,shapes, and the colours were inspiring. Mossy stone-lined walls and greenery greeted every step. The sights, sounds, and visual delights made me wish I could spend a whole afternoon there, writing all the feelings, atmosphere, and thoughts in my journal. The book I had in my bag was my newly purchased The Observer's Book of Architecture, which seemed appropriate with the well in front of me (what type of columns does it have? Doric), as well as the city just beyond with a plethora of architecture spanning centuries. 

What a serene place Dean Village is. It is a perfect example of why I love to get off the beaten path.

No comments:

Post a Comment