25 September 2019

10 Years


Dad at Yosemite (10 years, 2 months ago)

This was a bright July day at Yosemite. We drove up to the highest peak for the spectacular views. It was truly jaw-dropping. Half Dome dominates the scene, a marvel on its own, but then you have a painting of waterfalls, cliffs, snow capped mountain peaks, and miles of pure natural beauty. And it's all so tiny, you feel like you could reach out and touch that waterfall over Dad's shoulder. My deep love of nature and appreciation of the trees, woods, waterfalls, and streams comes from Dad. His was a life-long love of the outdoors, hiking, and camping. I will never be rough and tough as he was, but that love of the natural world is a true kindling in me for words, poetry, and stories.

Always donning his BMW gear, Dad is wearing a BMW hat, BMW M-Power jacket, and BMW waffle knit shirt. It could seem like a juxtaposition to say that he was passionate about BMW and nature, but there you have it. He loved to drive his BMW 635 csi out into nature (along the curving roads) and then get out to experience nature. It was a perfect fit for him, actually.

This is a loss that does not diminish, but life does move forward as it has to. Living in the past can be dangerous, for we miss out on the present and the coming good. Our loved ones who have gone before us would not wish any one of us to dwell in a past sadness, but to look upon it with a smile. And I smile at this trip. 

I feel endlessly privileged that I grew up with such a Dad, who lived by example, lived to love, and lived to give. My heart and soul is shaped by that, even more than I ever realized 10+ years ago. I am still being shaped by that, and still learning what it means. I strive to live up to his good ways.

I feel badly for those people who did not know my Dad. If you never met him, that is a loss, indeed. Those who didn't know him have a loss they do not even recognize. Their lives are missing something special. That is why, if I can emulate a part of the good ways in which Dad lived, I can allow his life to be known somehow in the here and now. His goodness lives on, 10 years and beyond, through all of us who knew him well.

No comments:

Post a Comment