18 September 2020

Mr. Holmes

 

'Never mind,’ said Holmes, laughing, ’it is my business to know things. Perhaps I have trained myself to see what others overlook. If not, why should you come to consult me?’

- Arthur Conan Doyle

How can investigating crimes be so enjoyable? With Sherlock Holmes, it is endlessly fascinating as he observes what everyone overlooks. His intelligent and witty comments keep me quite entertained. I am so drawn to observation and mystery, and it’s about time I read more of the Sherlock stories. I have only read a few. If you don't know already, they are short stories, and very readable. Conan Doyle started writing theses short stories and in 1891, many were published in The Strand Magazine. He was a physician himself, which leads his observations and medical prowess of Dr. Watson to be quite creditable.

If you ask me one of my very favourite television shows/series I will tell you without hesitation the BBC Sherlock is at the top of my list. I do not watch much television, as I find that most shows are redundant, trite, and predictable, but the Sherlock series are anything but that. The writers do such a great job at pulling in different pieces from these short stories that as I read these stories, I see how they incorporate a small encounter from a short story into one of the episodes that is not of the same story, but it is so well done, that it fits in seamlessly, and the nuances of the book and the acting are impeccable. Benedict Cumberbatch captures the character of Sherlock so well, even down to the small mannerisms that are so fun to read in the stories, like curling himself up in his armchair for hours of deep thinking with his pipe (this is a three pipe problem - translated to a patch for the modern days) and pressing his fingertips together as he thinks, stretched out on the sofa in his dressing gown.

"What are you going to do, then?" I asked. 

 "To smoke," he answered. "It is quite a three-pipe problem, and I beg that you won't speak to me for fifty minutes." He curled himself up in his chair, with his thin knees drawn up to his hawk-like nose, and there he sat with his eyes closed and his black clay pipe thrusting out like the bill of some strange bird. I had come to the conclusion that he had dropped asleep, and indeed was nodding myself, when he suddenly sprang out of his chair with the gesture of a man who had made up his mind, and put his pipe down upon the mantelpiece.

(The Red-Headed League) 

Reading the short stories has been such a delight. I love the intense observational skills, noticing things that nobody else does. Intelligent and thought-provoking insights that reveal true nature and motive. I read these stories of the adventures of Mr. Holmes and journey around London for clues, deep observation to solve mysteries, and witty interactions.

No comments:

Post a Comment