28 February 2012

Book Notes

I was thinking about some of my favorite books, and how the enjoyment of them is not only in one reading, but in reading them again. Each time is different, as the season of my life may be presenting me with perspectives altered, where these writers' words have stretched my thoughts and awakened creativity and inspiration.
Rainer Maria Rilke sums it up succinctly when he writes of re-reading books:

The enjoyment of them and the gratitude only grows ever greater, and one's way of looking at things becomes somehow better and simpler, one's belief in life deeper and one's life more blessed and more significant. (Letters to a Young Poet, 1903)
What books do you re-read? Books that I find myself re-reading the most:

C.S. Lewis
The Great Divorce
The Screwtape Letters
The Seeing Eye (essays)
The Grand Miracle (essays)
The Four Loves


Jane Austen
Pride and Prejudice

William Shakespeare
King Lear

Soren Kierkegaard
A Kierkegaard Anthology

Emily Brontë/ Charlotte Brontë
Poems and short stories

G.K. Chesterton
Orthodoxy
The Ball and the Cross

Madeleine L'Engle
Walking on Water

Lauren Winner
Girl Meets God
Mudhouse Sabbath

Tara Leigh Cobble
Here's to Hindsight
Crowded Skies
Orange Jumpsuit

Carolyn Weber
Surprised by Oxford

Emily Dickinson
Poems

The New Oxford Book of Victorian Verse

No comments:

Post a Comment