02 February 2012

Silly Prayers

If God had granted all the silly prayers I've made in my life, where should I be now?
High school- almost 10 years ago!
-C.S. Lewis, Letters to Malcolm

Do we ever think about prayer in that way? Being thankful for a prayer NOT answered? This is so true, though. I smile as I think back to my young and impressionable high school days where the things I prayed for were not always what would actually be best for me. But I didn't know that! I just knew what I wanted at the time, which didn't always align with what God had planned. Especially when it came to social situations and guys. Thank goodness God did not grant those silly prayers. And thank goodness I had friends who were good influences. We shared fun times.

Where would those answered prayers have gotten me? It would have, most assuredly, created trouble for me in some way. Maybe gotten me mixed up in situations that wouldn't have been good. I was young and naive enough to have trouble just due to growing up. No need to add to that with my silly requests being answered.

Now that we are all grown up, do we still have silly prayers? Of course we do. After reading this part of C.S. Lewis' letter, I am trying to remember that now, as I may pray for something that doesn't seem silly at the time, but down the road I may be thankful that prayer wasn't answered. Just another reminder that God always knows what is best for our lives. We don't always have that clarity.

No comments:

Post a Comment