18 February 2012

My Safe

I would imagine that most people have a safe in their home, holding such important items as money, documents, special valuables, etc... My journals are my safe. They hold that which is so precious to me. Memories, stories, thoughts, prayers, musings....

Rather than a physical safe to hold items inside my home, I carry mine with me wherever I go, in my bag. I could never use a bag that doesn't hold my journal (so those tiny clutches will never work for me). It is filled with words and descriptions of things I do not want to forget. It also holds imaginative musings, dreams, and hopes for things that have not yet come to pass.

I write poems. I write lists and random ideas. I write down titles of books I want to find later. Once in a while there is a sketch or drawing by me, but I am a terrible artist. I copy quotes and Bible verses. I tape pictures or cutouts that inspire me and get my creativity awakened. I never know when I may want to suddenly write something down, or refer to something I have written already.

Even the Psalmist speaks of God's 'journal 'when he writes "You have kept count of my tossings, put my tears in your bottle. Are they not in your book?" (Psalm 56.8) God keeps track of all our joys and sorrows, like someone who journals.

The hardest part is getting a new journal once my old one is full. Then I have to start fresh with a book full of blank pages. A few days ago, I started a new journal, so I am missing my old journal, full of familiar pages, poems, writings, and verses. I have some recipes written in there, too.  Now I just need to get busy filling my new book with verses, writings, and memories.

No comments:

Post a Comment