14 July 2016

Summer Heat


I don't think I have complained enough about the summer heat. In the depths of summer, we are, and it seems like it will never end. I try to ignore it, or escape it, and pretend it's not there by keeping my a/c cold and continuing to wear my preferred light sweaters, cardigans, and jeans. But there is no ignoring it. That works for a little while, but the heat is hitting us so hard right now, that I have broken down to wearing cotton shorts and the thinnest grey tee that I can find, to wear to lounge and sleep in. Normally, I would wear some pajama pants and a shirt with longer sleeves. These are the only shorts I own. I wasn't made for the hot, humid places.

This photo is a seemingly contradictory paradox. Hot tea in the evening while dressed for the heat of the summer. But my evening ritual of winding down includes a cup of tea (herbal, of course), even if it is still 95 degrees outside at this time of night. Hence, my breaking out the shorts and tee. Hence the need for a/c turned down. Hence my complaining. I am out of my comfort zone.

I am going to keep pretending, though, by lighting candles and keeping my home chilly. To create an environment that allows me to escape the intensity of the heat and feel cosy. As I dream about the weather that will come 4-5 months from now, I will see the challenge before me to appreciate what is in the now. Pardon my complaining. Maybe you love this heat. In that case, enjoy it! Relish in it! Write lovely things about it, as I shall try to do.

Heat:
Intense and insightful;
Significant, memorable, thick -
Proceeding without delicate measures -
Bright, vibrant, and quick -
Hot breezes and warm conversations -
Cooling down with ice cream
And thoughts that lift us above the clouds

No comments:

Post a Comment