16 July 2018

Porridge with Bananas


A bright Saturday morning. I make some porridge with bananas, honey, maple syrup, and cinnamon. Even though it is about 75 - 78 degrees in the morning, it is still delightful every now and then. It reminds me of Autumn. I can dream, can't I?

I read in Nehemiah and am inspired by the leadership and getting through the trials faced to re-build the wall of Jerusalem. After Jerusalem fell, most of the young and bright of the city were taken into captivity in Babylon, while those who remained in Jerusalem were the old and poorly. Nehemiah took action when he heard of the broken walls. Not only did the walls need to be re-built, so did the lives of everyone there. He overcame trials, rumors, mockery, corruption, and many other things that should have stopped the project. The walls were made whole in 52 days. Then, when the work was done, they turned inward to the Scriptures, as they had forgotten how loved they were. They had forgotten who they were, and whose they were. As Ezra read the Scriptures and all the people listened, they began to remember, and they rejoiced.

The other night (or early morning) I woke up with a worry in my head. It was something out of my control, and yet. I proceeded to keep myself awake with these thoughts that kept on and on in rotation in my mind. When I woke up, I felt so silly as I remembered that, and prayed that such worry would not keep my mind from forever praising God, in waking or sleeping. May my every breath praise God, so that there may be no room for me to forget who I am, or what He has planned to use me for good.

No comments:

Post a Comment