19 July 2018

Memorable Books (Part One)






I was asked by a friend on Instagram to post 10 most memorable books, so I thought I would share those on here, too, along with a few notes. I am sure I've shared many of these before, but they are really that good. So, you should go pick them up and tell me what you think! I will split it into a few posts (for your anticipation!)

1. Perelandra by C.S Lewis
This is book two of his Space Trilogy, but it could be read on its own. It is the story of Dr. Ransom traveling to Venus in a little one-person transportation pod. He lands to find a pre-fallen world where everything is fresh and innocent. He and the green lady explore the land and sea, and it's such a beautiful place where everything is good. Until...evil enters with a new arrival, and Dr. Ransom has to do something. The way Lewis depicts evil makes me squirm, but it is so effective. I've read and re-read this book several times. It leaves me with such deep feeling about the wonderful creation of God.

2. The Man Who Was Thursday by G.K. Cheesterton
This is Chesterton at his best, and my favourite kind of story he writes that is a paradox wrapped in a mystery, twisted into an adventure story. Gabriel Syme is a poet and police detective in London who overhears an anarchist demonstrating in a park, and ends up talking with him, and learning about the underground (literally) society of anarchists putting together a grand plan. He is brought in as a spy to learn more about this powerful man who is called Sunday, but he isn't ready to encounter the twists as he gets deeper.

3. The Lord of the Rings by J.R.R. Tolkien
I count the whole trilogy here, because it's all one story that reaches even beyond the scope of the books, because Tolkien created the word of Middle-earth and all its history and languages, stories and legends. These books, though, I always reach for every few years. They beckon me to re-enter the world of living simply with the Hobbits, Aragorn's journey, the elves and their melancholy but beautiful stories and lands, the magic of wizards, and the tale of small folk doing amazing things. 

4. Lilith by George MacDonald
I love this book and all its quirky dimensional weavings. Mr. Vane is in his library when he discovers a way to enter another land of many dimensions through a painting. In the other world, he has many lessons to learn, but also people to help, and love to encounter. It is a fantasy book like a fairy tale, with princesses who turn into giant cats, little people who cannot grow up, giants who are stupid, and long journeys that go through dark woods filled with creepy things. But then there are the deeply thought-provoking revelations of New Creation, and MacDonald's visions are so wonderful I constantly go back to those passages.

5. Pride and Prejudice by Jane Austen
This was a little tough to narrow down, as I would like to include Sense and Sensibility and Persuasion here as well. But I went with Pride and Prejudice because there are many aspects that are so memorable about this book and Austen's masterful characterization and story-telling is why I re-read this one many times. Elizabeth is such an independent woman who loves her family, and she is challenged by a proud, rich man who seemingly only cares about himself and sticks his nose up to others. However, we know that with time, as we get to know people better if we are willing to learn their stories, some amazing things can happen as we seek to change ourselves for the better.

No comments:

Post a Comment