24 July 2018

Memorable Books (Part Two)






Here is part two of my 10 most memorable books. (Click HERE for part one)
I could go on and on with listings of books that are so memorable to me. These ten just happened to be the ones that first popped into my head, or that I spotted quickly on my bookshelf because I reach for them often.

6. Tales of Glass Town, Angria, and Gondol by the Brontës siblings
I love the mysterious world they created together, with various stories the siblings all dreamt up about this world. It was kind of like a big collaboration project, with each of them telling stories about the characters in their own talented way. They were each so talented in writing - Charlotte, Anne, Emily, and their brother Branwell. This is a collection of their writings from the worlds they created, and I love the drama of the families and the layers of mystery and connections amongst stories.

7. Darkness Over Germany by E. Amy Buller
This book was written and published in 1943 during WWII, and it tells of Amy's conversations with Germans within Germany and their views, thoughts, and actions they decided to take as the Nazi regime took control of Germany, and very soon several other countries. Amy traveled into Germany many times to talk with Nazis and families to get their point of view, and she shares those conversations here. It it like nothing I have ever read before, and I think every person should read this book. She emphasizes that the issues that lead to Nazism were real issues, and they expressed a great need in the young folk of that time. It's a warning from history, because every young generation is looking for purpose, and that is what Nazis gave to their young people.

8. Surprised By Oxford by Carolyn Weber
This is her story of traveling from Canada to Oxford for her Masters in Literature degree at Oriel College, and what she found in Oxford. It's beautiful, poetical, and spiritual. It is like following her journey getting to know Oxford and all the wonderful streets and scenes, getting to know herself and what she really believes, and getting to know people who offer her so much food for thought she is never lacking. It is the dreamy kind of book that stays with me, because I can walk beside her underneath the Bridge of Sighs late one evening as she walks back with some friends. I hear the poems she is reading and dive into them with her. I learn as she learns, about life and relationships. What a beautiful thing, this book is.

9. Poems of Gerard Manley Hopkins
I had to include one book of poems, and to me Hopkins was a genius. His poetry astounds me every time. His creative word selection and alliterative style is so marvelous. His style has inspired so many of the poems I have written. I don't think anyone can match him. I read some poems again and again, and each time I hear something different. The best poems do that, I think. They speak to you in many different ways, because they open up a world of imagination as they invoke you to create the substance in your own mind. His poetry glitters. It sparkles in every line.

10. Leave It To Psmith by P.G. Wodehouse
If I had to pick a favourite Wodehouse book this one would have to be it. It was the first one I ever read, and it continues to be the one I re-read. The humour in this book makes me laugh out loud every time. It is about Psmith (the "P" is silent) and his adventures, which are never without mishap on the pages and chuckles from the reader. If you don't know Wodehouse, you have to read him. It is old-fashioned British humour at its best.

No comments:

Post a Comment