30 October 2012

The Good. The Beautiful.

It's right under your nose. The good. The beautiful.
Things you are missing.
Do you pay attention?

This is Lake Morton, and I drive around it probably a couple times each week, maybe more. Running errands during my lunch, going to church on Sunday and on Wednesday to volunteer at the bookstore, and maybe a visit to the library. It's all on this lake. So are the famous Lakeland swans. I am not one to get up close and personal with the swans or ducks, but sometimes I am just reminded to slow down (especially when they are crossing the road) and notice the scene. Downtown is just up the road from the lake. The bright orange pumpkins can be seen out on the front lawn of my church from across the lake. The sky is a perfect shade of blue today. The air is crisp. I hear Gerard Manley Hopkins' words in my head:

Sky sleepy blue without liquidity.

I just don't want to dream of far-off places so much that I lose sight of what is right in front of me. It can be pretty nice. I shall conduct a course of study in appreciating that which is under my nose at this moment. Perhaps I can learn something from it, or perhaps I am here, at this time, for a reason and it will be made known. I suspect it to be the same for you.

No comments:

Post a Comment