05 November 2018

And Breathe...







Cold weather makes me so happy. When the weekend graces us with a beautiful, chilly one-day-only event, it only makes sense to get outside as soon as possible, and enjoy the short-lived weather of delight. These are the days that inspire me to get out and about.

 I started with coffee, as every good day begins, at Concord Coffee, just a few blocks away. Then, I had to get outside, so I went to Hollis Garden, to walk around. It was a very windy day, and the rustling leaves and chilled air made it feel very autumnal. I eventually sat on my favourite bench to read my current book, The Victorian Age in Literature by G.K. Chesterton. I am really enjoying it. Chesterton is such a breathe of fresh air, like the very day I was enjoying. Every time I sit there at the garden I pay attention to the sounds of the birds, the classical music playing, the wind through the trees, and the children running through the grass. I love the scents: the plants and flowers, and the smell of earth. It felt like the very air I was breathing was just fresh-born. Being in a garden does that to me. It causes me to be present in that very moment, paying attention to sights, sounds, and scents. Then the words usually start to float around in my head.

I stayed at the garden until I was too chilly to hang out on the stone bench any longer, and then I went to the library. A new coffee shop opened inside the library (a second location of the wonderful Black & Brew) so I went there for the first time, getting a sandwich and a turmeric chai latte to warm up. 

I kind of felt like I was on holiday. It was so nice. Usually on Saturday, I will start with the coffee shop, but then I do an errand and chores, so it doesn't feel like a break, but this day it felt so nice to spend the whole morning on holiday, breathing in the fresh air of a cheery autumn day. 

No comments:

Post a Comment