07 November 2018

Poetic Thankfulness


 A cold, marble table resting in a minimal space,
empty until I hang my bag on the chair I claim.
I rest my journal on the table and soon
it holds my hot latte and my place of thinking 
for the next hour.
My journal creaks as I open to a blank page.
My pen in hand moves quickly across the lines. 
The coffee cools before I sip.
I reflect in words. They tumble out onto the page,
sometimes not gracefully, and yet, it is in the reflecting
that I find the wonderful peace of letting them go.
Speaking is sometimes hard for me, but words on a page, 
they come more easily.
Here, I get to think on the words and let them formulate 
cohesive thoughts across pages that can provide
insights I never saw before, but always,
everyday, in the form of thankfulness.
Words form in me, and they spring forth into shapes of thankfulness.
The coffee is perfect to sip now.
Sometimes I forget to sip as I scribble my heart's feelings,
overflowing with love. Love that has been shown to me, 
that I do not deserve.
Reminders of God's limitless love lingers.
It ripples through my words, thankful.
It steeps into my soul, thankfulness.
I take a drink of coffee and breathe 
in the scent of espresso and thankfulness.

No comments:

Post a Comment