06 November 2019

Colorado Snow Day














Now entering a beautiful winter wonderland. Welcome.

Can you imagine my excitement? A Florida girl who has not seen snow in close to seven years gets to enter a magical winter wonderland? 

With Colorado's notorious weather shifts, I went with no expectation of seeing snow. I prefer not to be disappointed, so instead I was surprised and delighted with the snowy days we encountered. Our drive into the mountains was not hindered, thankfully, but it did snow all the way up (and then slowed and stopped as we got to the top). I just watched the snow as we drove along, feeling like a child, staring at the flakes falling and the accumulated bundles hanging on tree limbs, in wonder. 

We took a historic narrow gauge train ride, from Georgetown. A short loop (about an hour) with more than 1,000 foot elevation change on the journey. We rode in the classy carriage, vintage from the 1930's. We were served snacks as the train began its accent up the mountain. The snowy banks still fresh and pristine. There is nothing quite like the freshly fallen snow. I am so thankful I got to experience it. It was freezing, I will say. About 20 degrees the whole day. I wasn't complaining, though.

The train ride felt like a transportation back in time. We were aristocrats for the short time, taking the Presidential carriage up to the next town, as they did back in the early 1900's. It was fashionable to go up in the train to have tea. I love trains anyway, and riding the historic train, with a diesel engine, felt like a special treat, and it was.We all had a great time. 

No comments:

Post a Comment