19 November 2019

These Brisk, Autumnal Days








A breezy chill in the subdued air -
Grey-cast sky reflects my grey sweater.
Dressed appropriately for the weather - 
I welcome the season sweeping my hair.

The cold weather has reached this sun-steeped southern land. Are you surprised at all that I am going to write about it? Any time I get to pull out my sweater and feel the urge to suddenly spend a large amount of my day outside is a day to rejoice about. That has been several days lately. 

I might have had several things on my to do list, and when I completed the errands that were on the list, I ended up at Hollis Garden as the winds were blowing the chilly air across the lake and into the garden. It wasn't too bad, though, and I took a wander around the garden. 

I spent much of my time sitting on my bench of choice, to write a few lines in my journal.

This is the kind of day I live for here. Slightly chilled all day long. A perfectly cast autumnal day. I watch the winds up at the tallest point of the palms - the wind view-able by the dancing of the long, green fronds.

Some tall corn stalks grow nearby my bench, guarded by a scarecrow and some hay stacks. People take photographs everywhere, and there are several photography sessions going on all around. The classical music plays in the background, creating a sense of elegance. Well, it is an elegant garden, painstakingly maintained and perfectly manicured. No wonder so many weddings are held here, along with photography sessions.

From my bench spot, I have a panoramic view of the garden and Lake Mirror beyond. This is a good thinking place.

This stone bench is a bit chilly, so I will finish this page and take a wander. But I do prefer to sit and enjoy the garden. The simple aspects of dirt, grass, and blooming plants can invite one to enter a state of wonder and appreciation.

That is, if you allow it to.

One can always choose to ignore the most simple beauty right in front of  them if one does not wish to stop. One must take the effort (isn't it rather strange that it really does take effort) to stop. But I can say that the effort is always worth it.

No comments:

Post a Comment