05 August 2020

Little Black Penguins




The light of truth that feeds them with its peace will never let their feet be turned away.
- Dante

I started collecting a few of these mini-sized Penguin Classics a few years ago when I saw them for the first time whilst book shopping in England. I forget exactly where I first saw them, probably in Oxford where I tend to do most of my book shopping. These little books are a great way to get a taste of an author, as they publish either a collection of poems for a poet, some short stories, or snippets from lesser known works by an author. The Dostoyevsky, for example, White Nights, is a lesser known shorter story from the great writer, and I enjoyed reading this very early work of his.

The little Penguins are a great way to explore different authors, or re-visit some favourites, and get a diverse reading experience. I do not think I would have ever known or read The Book of Tea, but I enjoyed that one a lot (as a lover of tea), and some authors I am curious about but have not read before are available here in little books, which fit perfectly in any bag by the way.

The Dante book I recently received, and on the front is my favourite quote from The Divine Comedy, from the last book, Paradiso, and the book itself has a collection of Cantos from the final book in the series, which was enjoyable to read, as it is a different translation from what I have read by Dorothy L. Sayers.

Wishing you happy explorations as you find new books to read, or seek out authors you have not read, to deepen your knowledge, appreciate seeing the world through other's eyes, and letting your imagination run.

No comments:

Post a Comment