13 June 2011

Tubes, Trains, and Cars

The Tube
Late night on the Tube. It's usually much more crowded
A train departing from Oxford Station
A 1 Series BMW with 4 doors. I don't think we have those here.
A BMW X 1 ?
A Rover (no clue what that is), sitting outside Westminster Abbey
I don't even know what this is

In London, the Underground (Tube) is by far the cheapest way to get around (aside from walking). It's bright, clean, and easy to use. When I say cheap, I don't truly mean it. It is actually quite an expensive underground system. A one-way ticket from Victoria Station to Paddington Station (a mere 4 miles apart) was £4.00 (which was about $6.60) In relation to a taxi, though, it is dramatically cheaper.

The train system throughout the UK is my favorite way to get anywhere. Within 4 hours you can go from London to Northumberland, the northernmost county in England (Jason and I did this the past 2 years). The trains are fast, on-time, and though they sometimes encounter delays, it's not nearly as frequent as delays you likely would experience on the motorway.

My family is obsessed with cars. I suppose you could call them petrol-heads. So, I can't help it but notice cars wherever I go, especially when they all look so different in another country. There are so many cars I never knew existed or had never seen until my first trip to England. Companies like Vauxhall, Peugeot, Lotus, etc...So I am always on the look-out for interesting cars, though I didn't have my camera ready for many of them.

No comments:

Post a Comment