05 April 2012

The Lowest Place

Give me the lowest place: not that I dare
Ask for that lowest place, but Thou hast died
That I might live and share
Thy glory by Thy side.

Give me the lowest place: or if for me
That lowest place too high, make one more low
Where I may sit and see
My God and love Thee so.

-Christina Rossetti


Jesus' new commandment to His disciples is to love one another, and He demonstrates this by washing the disciples' feet. After sharing dinner with friends in the Upper Room, Jesus shows what serving one another should look like. An unabashed, willful act that puts another before yourself. Becoming last.


Maundy means 'command' and during this last supper, Jesus gives the basic summation of His mission, "By this all people will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another." (John 13.35)


It seems so simple. Love one another. But do we serve others in love? Do we serve ourselves first and most of the time? 

No comments:

Post a Comment