03 April 2012

Dappled Things

Glory be to God for dappled things-
For skies of couple-colour as a brinded cow;
For rose-moles all in stipple upon trout that swim;
Fresh-firecoal chestnut-falls; finches' wings;
Landscape plotted and pierced-fold, fallow, and plough;
And all trades, their gear and tackle and trim.

All things counter, original, spare, strange;
Whatever is fickle, freckled (who knows how?)
With swift, slow; sweet, sour; adazzle, dim;
He fathers-forth whose beauty is past change:
Praise him.

-"Pied Beauty", Gerard M. Hopkins

I need to remember to thank God for dappled things because there is a beauty in those things that are imperfect. That even relates to all of us. Sometimes it is in those imperfect things that we can see ourselves more truly, uncluttered by our own illusions.

When I was a teen, I went through a phase where I hated that I was so pale and that I did not tan like the other girls. My skin just burns and doesn't brown very much (okay, not at all). Because the popular thing was to be tan, I wanted to be, too, even though it wasn't me. When I really put some thought into it, I didn't like lying out in the sun. I felt like there were so many other things I would have rather been doing (ex. reading, writing. Yes, I have always been bookish). Even though my pale skin and red hair was not the norm, I began to realize that I actually liked being different from everyone else who strived to be blonde and tan. I wasn't made that way, and I grew to be perfectly content with that. Now look at all the girls who dye their hair red. It's crazy!

It is only when we embrace who God made in each of us that we are able to properly shine. I used to be embarrassed to let anyone (and I mean anyone) read my writing. I never thought it was good enough, and admittedly, I still get nervous each time I submit an article to be considered, or post something. Like this!
I am so dappled!
But don't worry, I am not going to Tolstoy* you.

*Tolstoy- (c/o Urban Dictionary) to make significantly longer than is necessary to convey the relevant message; derived from Leo Tolstoy, whose classic literature is quite long and wordy.

No comments:

Post a Comment