03 June 2015

Hello June! - !


There may be times when what is most needed is, not so much new discovery or a new idea as a different 'slant'; I mean a comparatively slight readjustment in our way of looking at the things and ideas on which attention is already fixed.
- Owen Barfield


June is here!
I am not sure why I write that with an exclamation point. Maybe I should subtract that out. It's not as if I love the month of June (I mean, we are three days in and I am just now acknowledging June), or feel any sort of delight in the season that is upon us. In fact, it brings us deeper into summer, which initiates feelings of melancholy (oh the heat!). However, the only way out of summer is to go through it. So, here we are at the beginning of a new month, and that is always refreshing. We are one month closer to the end of summer. That is how I will look at it. 
In the meantime, here is another month in which we can indulge in nectarines, crushed ice, afternoon rainstorms, and sun hats. There are good things to behold in this month.

Perhaps Owen Barfield would like my readjustment of what I am looking at as not a mere slant, but viewing it in a different way. One that is less dependent on how other people feel, by going generally against the grain of the collective thought. But I shan't pretend to know what I am talking about yet, as I just began reading his book Saving the Appearances. I will continue reading and trying to absorb his deep, philosophical thinking, and share some prolific thoughts that emerge.

Feel free to welcome June if you want to. I know you are kind of enthusiastic about it.

No comments:

Post a Comment