12 June 2015

Just Be Still


 A God in whose words there is such a height of figures,
such voyages, such peregrinations to fetch remote and precious metaphors...
- John Donne


Be calm.
Just be still.

The sky is reaching twilight.
A cool mint blue is fading slowly, resting on the horizon. Sinking lower under the weight of the deeper blue. Glowing fades into a gentle midnight as the minutes pass. Darker and darker the world becomes.

I sit on my sofa with my study materials. A cup of tea is steaming on the table next to me. The summer heat outside may be intense, but in here it is chilled, and I pull on my long cardigan. The cool air swirls around me and I am thankful for it. It keeps my mind awake.

It all fades to black, or deepest blue if it is the sky. I think about how another day fades. Was it productive? Did I make the most of the hours today? What do I need to do more of?

Pray.


That is what I need more of, always. More time in a meditative, thoughtful posture with prayerful musings. Be still. Know that God is God. Listen and be attentive. And the prayer will flow out of those moments.

No comments:

Post a Comment