24 June 2015

Mountain Air










There is something different about the mountain air. It swells with oxygen. It sways in the breezes at all hours of the day. The dappled sunlight streams through layers of leaves as tall as the trees down to the ground. Different birds chirp at various intervals of each day. Sometimes they sound like small birds, and sometimes like larger birds. The leaves rustle against each other up high in the trees, rising in falling in volume like sounds of waves.

The quiet tones of nature produce a relaxing environment, to me. As I sit outside on our large living room porch I can be amidst the sounds and feeling of nature all the time.

On a hike to Glen Falls, I can see multiple views of nature along the way. What are all these varieties of trees? Each one is different. Tall, thin, light green leaves, dark green leaves, moss, far-reaching branches.

Some more birds have joined the chorus. It is warming up. The longer I am outside on the hike, the warmer it gets. The air grows heavier with humidity as the noon time approaches. But the breeze is cool.

I am beginning to clear my mind. My imagination starts to wander. Can I ignore the rest of the cares of the day around me? Can I think of poetry, language, meditations, and words? Can I dive into this quiet space I have tried to retreat to?

No comments:

Post a Comment