18 September 2015

Oxford Daydreaming




















Aim at heaven and you will get earth thrown in. Aim at earth and you get neither.
- C.S. Lewis

I interrupt the regular blog posts to bring you some Oxford daydreaming. Just because. I catch myself daydreaming about Oxford quite often. With all its sweeping scenes of ancient and meaningful that steal my heart.

It's not that I want to be away from here, but I want to be in both places. Do you ever get that feeling? That you want to be home, where you are known and where everything you need is located. But you also want to be where you feel most inspired and adventurous as well. That's me. I crave the familiarity of home, but I want it to be in my favourite place at the same time.

I am sensing a deeper theme here. How is it that I don't feel like I am whole in either place? Could it be that what I desire won't be fully satisfied here in this world? No matter where I am something will seem to be missing.

We won't get the feeling of being completely at home until the end arrives, and New Creation unfolds. Then, at last we will be able to say:


“I have come home at last! This is my real country! I belong here. This is the land I have been looking for all my life, though I never knew it till now...Come further up, come further in!” 
- C.S. Lewis, The Last Battle

Until then, I will aim at heaven and get the beauty of the earth thrown in, as Lewis wrote. The places of contrast in which I live, and in which I love. There is an abundance of beauty in both.

No comments:

Post a Comment