25 September 2015

Time and Remembrance

 

The reason we have the same event or anniversary come around each year is because it is good to remember. To stop and think about something from the past helps us keep close to our roots. It is a reminder to think about something and someone that shaped you.

We have memories for a reason. We are supposed to remember. We are supposed to go through the story again. Why do you think we have calendars that repeat every twelve months, every month that repeats each year, and so on? We are creatures of habit and cycles. This is why we need Christmas each year. This is why we need Easter. That is why we take communion often and have a church liturgy. These reminders help us refocus on what we should be focused on. Sometimes they are reminders of people we are deeply thankful for.

This is the sixth year that this day has held an anniversary of remembrance of my Dad. In the days leading up to this day, I tend to have sudden moments of tears. With nothing much to trigger them. They just come. I realize after grabbing a tissue that I know deep inside that it is because my memory knows of the anniversary of this day. I most difficult day I have endured.


Those who knew my Dad will have stories to tell. They are always good, and they usually make me laugh. The stories don't seem to fade. They frequently tell of his love of the outdoors. Camping. hiking. and trees. We called him Treebeard, but he didn't understand it because he didn't know The Lord of the Rings. But I still fondly think of him as Treebeard because he loved nature.

His love of cars, especially BMWs, could fill a book with stories. He is the one who found my first car, a 1991 BMW, and after I got a newer one 6-7 years later, he drove that old one until his last day on earth. He wanted his family to join him at all the races, shows, and events. Because most important we were, to him. I did not doubt it. His hard work and dedication to taking care of all of us was so clear.

I have his Bible sitting on my desk in my childhood room. It is a Bible I gave to him, and he brought to Sunday school every week. He had a love of learning and was always reading books, magazines, the Bible, and watching history shows. He retained information accurately. He could remember specifics, details, and scenes from twenty years ago, recalling as clearly as if it was from yesterday. He remembered all the details of his lawn maintenance business, rarely ever writing anything down. He dictated to my Mom, who would write it down.


Time is a tricky thing. It is a gift, but we are only given so much. Take each moment with care. Do not take for granted the time we have with those we love. We never know how long we will have them here.

I will sing of the tender mercies of the Lord forever!  Young and old will hear of your faithfulness. Your unfailing love will last forever.  Your faithfulness is as enduring as the heavens.
- Psalm 89. 1-3 

No comments:

Post a Comment