28 September 2015

The Most Concrete Thing We Know


I reach down deep to extract some thoughts as my mind wakes on this warm morning. The quiet is intruding. My coffee is steaming. Books stacked on my table long to be read, as I long to read them. Yet, most of the time I am studious instead. I long for the day these exams are done and I can really enjoy my free time. Now, I feel like free time is not free, but I know I must complete that which is set before me.

This morning I am retreating from errands and the outside world. I know I need to step back and rest in some calm. To simply be still. To reflect and meditate in God's Word and presence. Here, this morning, I open myself to be recharged and reminded of the power of God's love, through prayerful musings. A quieted heart.

Before time itself was measured, the Voice was speaking.

The Voice was and is God.

This celestial Word remained ever present with the Creator;
His speech shaped the entire cosmos.
Immersed in the practice of creating,
all things that exist were birthed in Him.
His breath filled all things
with a living, breathing light -
A light that thrives in the depths of darkness,
blazes through the murky bottoms.

It cannot and will not be quenched.

- John 1. 1-5


These days are littered with darkness. Our news is filled with despair and woe. It sweeps over all of us. It is too much to grasp. It cripples those who depend on this world for their happiness. If we set our eyes on this present world, which is fallen and hurting, we shall never be satisfied and we will grow desperate to see goodness, but still be blind to seeing the goodness.


However, if we set our sight on that which is eternal, we will see the glorious realm that is to come, as tiny glimpses. That is all we can handle thus far. We will know that this world is the temporary struggle we are dwelling in at present. While we are here, we will see beautiful signposts that point to our Creator. The trouble of the world is our concern too, which is why the best thing we can do is help encourage those people in despair. To look to the promise we have in eternity, for the beauty and love that then fills the hearts, makes the living here so much more bearable.

We were made for eternity, but we are mortally bound at present. We are unable to fully understand the mysterious nature of God, but that does not mean that He is not omni-present and unbound by time. We can gather snippets of truth from His presence.

He is unspeakable not by being indefinite but by being too definite for the unavoidable vagueness of language.
- C.S. Lewis


To discard the notions in our minds that rationally try to convince us that God isn't present; that He is some sort of transparent thing that can slip through our fingers and never touch us personally is false. Sure, He is so big and also so small at the same time, because He can be. Time and space have no authority over Him, but make no mistake, God is the most concrete thing we can know. We limit ourselves and our imaginations when we place Him into a certain shaped box.
Open our hearts. 

Open our minds. 

No comments:

Post a Comment