05 August 2019

Mysterious Atmosphere


One feels the radiance of a new page
on which everything could still come to be.
- Rainer Rilke

The air has been thick with heat and humidity. Growing more and more intense, the space above our heads could not hold all the heat together any longer and at last it finally burst. The explosion and release came with gusty winds and heavy rain, suddenly enveloping the whole atmosphere. 

I sat here at my kitchen table prepping for a class I will be leading at church (on imaginative fiction), notes and books strewn across my table. Working in my library of a tiny home. And the delight of the afternoon rainstorm came upon me. I could sit here for hours appreciating it. My soul longs for it.

Why does my soul long for a cloudburst whilst most people dislike storms and ache for the sunshine? A thunderstorm I delight in, but I am frequently reminded that that is not the norm. I have always been different like that.

As a child my imagination automatically kicked into overdrive when a summer thunderstorm approached. I heard the distant thunder and I would grab my tote or backpack, add a journal, a book or two, a few treasures, and maybe a stuffie, and venture across the house, looking out the windows as I set out on my journey, listening for thunder (which was possibly a T-Rex getting closer), and watch for the rain to start. 

As soon as the heavy rain was upon us, I would find a cosy nook, a safe place to sit with my bag full of treasures, and imagine the story I was in at that moment. I might be hiding from a T-Rex and raptors that were surveying the area, or I might be on a journey escaping from bad guys. A spy always has bad guys chasing them.

I was always doing brave things in my stories, because anything was possible in my imagination, and a good storm kindly provoked it. I was always seeking out that safe place to catch the cosy vibes of a storm where my imagination could reach out, boundless.

I didn't know what I was drawn to then, but now I know it is the mysterious atmosphere where every moment is full of possibility. That feeling has been with me all my life, and probably always will be.

No comments:

Post a Comment