05 May 2012

Stranger Than Fiction

God's love is strange.
We cannot fully comprehend how deep His love is for us. We imagine and experience love from a human perspective, which is full of faults (it's not our fault), so it's hard for us to understand an infinite love that has no end. No faults. No conditions.

I have read some strange fictional stories. What comes to mind first are the English classes I had in high school and college. I sometimes wondered how the teachers picked out certain works to assign to their classes and why. Many of the assigned readings I enjoyed (such as Shakespeare, which was difficult to understand, but I loved to learn how to read it and understand it) while some were so disturbing or odd that I really wondered why on earth it was considered a classic (such as Kafka's "The Metamorphosis", which was the most disturbing story I think I had ever read).

No matter how strange any fictional story may be, God's love tops it all, because it is not made of us. God's love wasn't created here, as all our stories are, so His love isn't going to fit into our expectation and presuppositions. It's going to blow them all away.

And through God's love we are able to catch little glimpses of the heavenly realm that we were made for. How joyful to know this it not it! That God intends us to join Him in the most glorious place.

No comments:

Post a Comment