31 August 2015

Amidst Storms


I fell asleep amidst a storm last night. The sky was loud and layers of thunder cracked the landscape. The flashes of lightning were constant and  my home was filled with flashes of light. Almost ceaseless the lightning was. The rain pounded at the windows. I kept my eyes closed and felt myself falling asleep. Normally I would not easily be as relaxed to fall asleep during such a loud storm, but I was calm. God was in my thoughts. God was near me. He was close when the loud resounded. He was in the quiet moments in between the cracks of thunder. He was with me in each moment of my drifting to sleep.

As the storm eased a bit, I did fall asleep. I knew that it was the sense of calm that God gave me to fall asleep so quickly. Noises and storms usually keep me awake. But I was so tired, and needed to fall asleep. I need the nearness of God more than just when I am falling asleep. I long to be held close, protected, comforted. I want to feel loved. Our Lord does hold us and love us. It is a love that penetrates deeply into our souls and reaches all the needs we have.

Heart and soul. Loved all by God, who does not walk away from us. Who is never too busy to pay attention. Who is not bound in time like we are. When we find ourselves emptied, we are filled by God's ceaseless love, which restores us, leaving nothing wanting. The silence and peace comes.

No comments:

Post a Comment