26 August 2015

Variation on a Theme


I pause in the middle of a page in my book. Listen. The great overarching theme of the sounds of summer are playing tonight. The distant rumbling crescendo of thunder grows closer as it plays for the twilight. The flashes of heat lightning precede all the notes. A preliminary effect perhaps left over from a storm beyond the neighborhood. The lingering bouts of rumble usher in my bedtime, and leave us dry for the evening.

As the summer goes, a more rare evening, full of heat, humidity, but lack of rain.

A variation on a theme.

This tune of summer could use a variety with added notes of autumn, but we are yet to be satisfied. I cling to the hope of early songs of autumn with a sense of expectancy that will not likely come to fruition.

Carried away to the realm above the land where the storm resides, my mind wanders. I watch the flashes of energy in the sky from my window. Here is where some dreams dwell. Beyond my reach, floating in the midst of questions, yet full of hope.

Soon I am brought back down to earth. Is it water droplets I see on the window? It only adds another beautiful dimension to the theme of the song. A song that I am most thrilled to read to.

No comments:

Post a Comment