28 August 2015

Utterly Bookish


bookish - adj. devoted to reading and studying (OED)

Can someone be utterly bookish? If so, can someone be more than utterly bookish?
If that is a possibility, I submit myself to be a candidate for exhibit A.


Books are the keystone for all things that we want to learn about and study. Within the thin pages, there holds the vital story and wisdom that we would all benefit by if we took the time to read it. I know my thoughts are anomalous from the general public and the thoughts that surround good reading these days, but I am determined. If you get me on the topic of reading, you might not be able to get me off of it. As one who is not generally a loquacious person, I become one who suddenly reaches into a depository of thoughts to share when asked about books and reading.

Where might this spring from? I can only explain that it is a life-long fascination with the importance of learning and growing. Of the mind and thinking, and how we are gifted with the ability to ponder, sub-create, and process. Of words, their origin, and the use of words.

Human minds, then, are not the only supernatural entities that exist. They do not come from nowhere. Each has come into Nature from Supernature: each has its tap-root in an eternal, self-existent, rational Being, whom we call God.
 - C.S. Lewis

How could we question our role in this universe? How could we think that what we say (and do) does not matter? We have a complex intelligence able to use and choose words and learn more all the time. We have these wonder-filled minds that store data and memory. All this means we can ponder God in our own unique way because we all have different wonderings.
I would say that is a pretty important thing.

This is why I love books and reading so much. If we are not learning and continuing to see ideas and goodness through the eyes of authors, we are limiting ourselves. We are cutting ourselves off from thoughts that engage us. An idle mind is a dangerous thing, right? It is dangerous because it is set in its own ways, unwilling to see others. And when we only look inward, we become a nesting place for all sorts of complacency and neglect.

I have been using my mind to its capacity lately, with work, studying, my own leisurely reading, writing, and listening to lectures online. And yet, I know I have not reached my capacity, nor have I actually been using my mind to capacity. And that is exciting to me because I am utterly bookish, in the true sense of the word.

No comments:

Post a Comment