06 February 2016

Saint Louis Musings













The word of the Lord is right and true; he is faithful in all he does. 

The Lord loves righteousness and justice; the earth is full of his unfailing love.
- Psalms 33:4-5


Each year at this same time, my office takes a flight to St. Louis for our company's winter event. I never know what to expect from the craziness of the few days we are there, including the variety of temperatures. There is always the chance we Floridians will freeze with single digit temperatures, but this time, it warmed into the 60's on a few days, which was balmy to all the locals.

I am always thankful to go to the events, even though it is exhausting because there is so much social time, we never get enough sleep, and finding rides to all the events can sometimes be a challenge. I am independent, so learning to ask for a ride is like a torturous stretch for me, but I am quite used to it after almost three years. And all our people are so wonderful and generous, there is no reason for me to begrudge asking for rides.


One thing different this time around was a co-worker in St. Louis offered to pick us up on the first morning and take us wherever we wanted for breakfast. After some research, we found a delightful restaurant, Café Osage, which serves breakfast and lunch using fresh ingredients, many from their garden there on site. They also have a shop with plants and beautiful goods to buy.

After a delicious breakfast, we went to Blueprint Coffee, in a different neighborhood, and enjoyed a busy atmosphere while sipping on lattes. I love to visit local coffee shops when I travel, because it allows me to see and hear what is going on in that community. For a little while, I get to be part of that.

After bowling with our operations teams after coffee, where I bowled my highest score (most likely my lifetime highest score- 138), a company meeting, and a quick dinner, we went to visit our company's foundation building that we helped remodel and paint last year. It is a historic building from the 1920's. The spots where I painted last year, now is a glassed-in office for the leaders of our foundation to work out of. The space is open, sleek, and industrial, all while feeling cool and stylish. We were able to walk around the building to explore each floor. Two floors below the offices is the furniture workshop for Narrative Furniture, the company our foundation started. The pieces (desks, tables, etc..) they create are really beautiful.


The next morning I was part of a large group that went to a homeless shelter to paint all morning. My group painted a bedroom on the top floor, which had five beds and a crib. It was a very small space, but three of us managed to get beds shifted around the room as we painted. To know that we brightened the children and parents' stay with a fresh coat of paint was a good reminder that what we do matters. The little things do make a difference. Even if it is a small way. It lets them know that we care.

It isn't the winter event without the fancy banquet. Everyone gets dressed up, we call it the prom, and shuttle off to a lovely ballroom. We get to mingle, sit at tables with people we may not know well yet, and hear several of our leaders speak and give out awards. I always enjoy that event, especially the talks from our leaders, who always share their faith in inspiring ways. It is encouraging to be reminded of what is the most important aspect of what we do. It is to give glory to God. 

No comments:

Post a Comment