25 October 2011

Jehoshaphat's Faith

On this mild evening, I open my Bible and read the Old Testament story of Jehoshaphat in 2 Chronicles 20. I have liked this story for a long time. It is a story about Jehoshaphat's faith in God's promise to take care of the battle, even though the situation looks dire.
A great army is approaching and Jehoshaphat's men tell him a great multitude is coming against them. Jehoshaphat is afraid, but the first thing he does is pray (why aren't we all taking notes of this?). The spirit of God tells them all at an assembly:

Do not be afraid and do not be dismayed at this great horde, for the battle is not yours but God's...You will not need to fight in this battle. Stand firm, hold your position, and see the salvation of the Lord on your behalf. (v.15-17)
The next day, they do exactly as God said. They went to the location God told them to go, and found the great army dead already. God had re-routed the men of Ammon, Moab, and Mount Seir so their paths intersected and they all rose against one another, leaving everyone dead. All Jehoshaphat and his people had to do was collect the spoil- goods, clothing, and precious items. The quantity of the spoil was so much that verse 25 tells us it took three days to collect it all.

When you remain faithful and trust in God's promises, He will take care of the details. All you have to do is show up when and where He tells you to. Tonight, I need this reminder. The battle before me is so out of my control, and the more I try to control it, the less grasp I actually have. When I see a faint glimmer of light, it fades before I have the chance to look again. My doubts rise and fall with each tide, and I need to remember that God has it all in His hands. I just need to go when and where He tells me.

No comments:

Post a Comment