17 October 2011

Georgia Treats

Book Lady Bookstore

When I was in Savannah last weekend, we spent an afternoon walking around the historic downtown area. We started at Forsyth Park and walked along Abercorn Street toward Lafayette Square to see the childhood home of Flannery O'Connor. Jen and Jake are always kind enough to let me indulge in my literary treasure hunts. Flannery O'Connor (1925-1964) wrote short stories that were very strange and thought-provoking, but had strong Christian undertones. She is highly acclaimed as a writer, and the house is now a museum you can tour.
Flannery O'Connor's childhood home

We continued our walk by the white Cathedral of St. John the Baptist, with tall spires, and turned onto Liberty Street. We walked in the blustery wind to the Book Lady Bookstore. Jake went for a run while Jen, baby Liliana, and I browsed the books. I love the atmosphere in there. Wide plank wood floors, brick walls, tight spaces, mix of old and gently used books, cozy and stylish chairs scattered around. Liliana was so well-behaved. She likes bookstores, I can tell. I held her for a little bit and she reached out to touch the books. I let her hold my one small paperback purchase. She liked holding onto it. I slowly walked her down the aisles showing her all the books she could read someday. Jen and I think she will be a great reader.

As we walked back toward the park, where the car was parked, we got to the corner of Liberty and Drayton and the scent of a bakery drifted to us. The wind brought the sweet pastry and bread scent floating down the block to our noses, and we could not resist. We followed our noses into the bakery and purchased pecan tarts and a Mexican wedding cookie. Back on the street, we bit into our sweet treats as we walked, brushing the crumbs from our shirts. The pecan tart was heavenly. Such a Georgia treat. All of it.

No comments:

Post a Comment