15 October 2011

Escaping Dependency

I consider myself to be an independent girl. I do not rely on anyone for food, shelter, clothing. I take care of regular life stuff myself. I travel places by myself. I don't need to ask anyone's permission before I buy new pillows for my sofa. I cook for one, usually. But take away my internet connection for a few days, and I quickly realize how dependent I am on the invisible realm of answers that is the internet.

My laptop could have been put to better use as a doorstop these last few days, because I couldn't access the web for the weather report, search several different websites for something, download music, browse through pinterest.com, watch the latest episode of The Amazing Race, or write on my blog!

Of course, I do have a smartphone, so I could reply to emails as long as it didn't require a long, thoughtful response. And even that is a little crazy. The fact that I have 2, no make that 3, devices that connect to the internet (mobile phone, laptop, iPod). We are so over-connected to the intergalactic space of the internet that when some equipment fails and we lose connection, we go crazy. Like with the recent Blackberry fiasco. (I loved seeing the funny videos of people using their Blackberry as a cream cheese spreader since it was useless at that point) We are lost and frustrated when we cannot email, text, or check Facebook. How silly is that?

All of this causes me to dust off some cobwebs in the far recesses of my mind to recall what we did to communicate in the 1980s and 1990s (when I was growing up). Brace yourself: we had to pick up a telephone that had a cord and dial a phone number. Or, we had to pull out a crisp sheet of paper and hand-write a letter, which, in turn, had to be mailed with a stamp and travel to someone's mailbox, which took days to get to its destination! Can you imagine?

We move at such a fast pace these days, and our technology is meant to keep up with us, and yet sometimes I wish we could escape it all and go back to the way things were. Life was simpler when we didn't depend on our mobile phones and latest gadgets. We relied on paper maps for directions, which never lost GPS signal, and looked up information in the dictionary, encyclopedia, or in other books at the library.
Soon, I am inclined to thing the roles will be reversed. That we will be struggling to keep up with the technology. Anyone seen the Matrix?

No comments:

Post a Comment