02 November 2011

God in my Cube

I see, in the workplace, the opportunities to show love. It is such a struggle for me to choose love (which says a lot about the environment there), but when I do, I know it's because I let God use me. The mileau of the office is stressful, tense, and time is against everything we do. We are overworked and under appreciated. Our energy toward our work is depleted and no encouragement is sent our way. If I take a minute to sit at my desk and think outside the cube, none of the work I do really matters in the grand universe. Our manager makes it seem like this work is life, and all the micro-managing is critical. But it is not life, and it is not that critical.
What's critical, to me, is following God's Word in the Bible and showing love as we are called to do, no matter where we are. For Galatians 5.13 says-

For you were called to freedom, brothers. Only do not use your freedom as an opportunity for the flesh, but through love serve one another.
This is why I need to be in the Bible everyday. My daily life is surrounded by alternate teaching that tries to trap me into thinking that work is more important than my life. Or spending time with family and friends. Or taking vacation. My life has been changed by loss over these last two years. Life is too short to not utilize every moment to bring people closer to love.
So, how can I bring this verse into the workplace? How can I live this verse better than I have, so that God is apparent in the cube with me? It is a challenge indeed.

No comments:

Post a Comment