08 November 2011

November in my Soul...


Do you ever have an unexplained darkness sweep over you?
It is described in Moby-Dick, by the narrator, Ishmael, "whenever it is a damp, drizzly November in my soul..."

Oh yes. We all have times when our souls are in such a state.  I fight it sometimes because various pieces of my life are joyful, free, and independent, while other parts feel so caged, suppressed, and thwarted. Occasionally these conflicting pieces crash together and create a damp, drizzly atmosphere in my soul.

But I don't want to be a creature of circumstance, wavering to and fro, like the weather patterns. I want my joy to shine brilliantly in each moment. I wish for my soul to sing for the Lord all day, and make people wonder why I am glowing. This is what my favorite passage in the Bible talks about in Matthew 5.14-16:
You are the light of the world. A city set on a hill cannot be hidden. Nor do people light a lamp and put in under a basket, but on a stand, and it gives light to all in the house. In the same way, let your light shine before others, so that they may see your good works and give glory to your Father who is in heaven.
Let's be the light of the world that Jesus tells us to be. When I focus on being a light for God instead of being fixated on my own struggles, it's amazing how the drizzle comes to a stop and the refreshing air swoops in to clear my soul of such darkness. Because really, it's not about me anyway.

No comments:

Post a Comment