08 March 2012

Fun with Photography

I love photography. Especially taking pictures of everyday things at an angle that isn't what you might normally see. This photo shows a rugged texture on a barn in Maine. Since I am in the shadow of the barn, the colors are muted, but I think it works perfectly to show the interesting layered-ness of the barn. Direct sun might have washed it out.
This is what the inside of my piano looks like. It's not what I think about when I am sitting down at my piano playing a nocturne. But the pieces are lined up and tuned (hopefully). These intricate pieces fuse together to play the notes my fingers press. When taking photos, I almost never use a flash. Natural light captures the best scenes, I think, and I like how in this photo, the light from my sliding glass doors is casting a warm glow on the wood and metal pieces of my piano.
This was taken somewhere in Scotland, on the way to Glencoe and the Isle of Skye. This isn't the best photo to blow up into a poster, but I love it because it shows the landscape in perspective to me in the little Seat we rented to drive around Scotland. I love the landscape here, with weather that changes every few minutes. This thick cloud covers the mountain peak with such drama, it demands a picture to be taken. As we drove away, the cloud had cleared away.
In Newcastle, England one of the many bridges is the Tyne Bridge, which happens to be an exact replica of the Sydney Harbor Bridge in Australia, only smaller scale. It's a beautiful bridge, but the same picture can be taken of it over and over as you walk over the river Tyne. I love this perspective and angle of the bridge because it looks like it is connecting these two buildings. It's so interesting. It showcases the bridge, while incorporating the Newcastle buildings I grew so familiar with and fond of.
When my friend Emily made this fresh bread when I was visiting her in Maine, it was not only screaming to be eaten, but it was begging to be photographed. As the bread cooled and my mouth watered, I took this shot. The trick with taking photos of food is to capture an interesting focus. Here, I changed the focus point to be the closest spot, thereby blurring the background, which adds the depth to make it more interesting.
My camera is an Olympus PEN E-PL1 and I love it! It's not one of the high-end DSLRs, but it shoots high-quality photos fast, it's small, easy to use, and it's got a cool retro vintage look that I like. I really enjoy getting to share my photos on this blog, and I hope everyone has enjoyed my photos too! More to come!

No comments:

Post a Comment