05 September 2011

Flag for Thought

As I drove to church yesterday morning, I took the scenic route, going partially around Lake Hollingsworth like I always do. Before I turned into the Florida Southern campus, I passed a man running along the lake wearing a U.S. Army tee-shirt and holding up in one arm a very large U.S. flag attached to a metal pole. My first thought was how tired his arm must be, but then I began to wonder why he chose to display his patriotism in that manner. I assumed he must love this country and probably has experiences and stories to share about why he feels that way. He was alone and I wonder how many people stopped him to ask why he was running holding up a large flag. Perhaps to show his support of this country in such a bad economic time where the effectiveness of our government is brought into question often as we are caught in this stagnant rut. Perhaps to remind people of the honorable men and women who serve and protect this country no matter what the economy looks like. We are all abiding by our government's rules and laws, as we should because they are allowed by God. I am just thankful that I can trust in God and everything He promises and I don't have to worry about trusting and relying on any government or politician's promises. Then I read Jesus' thoughtful response to those who tried to trap him with their questions about authority.

Then Jesus spoke to the crowds and to his disciples. "The teachers of the Law and the Pharisees are the authorized interpreters of Moses' Law. So, you must obey and follow everything they tell you to do; do not, however, imitate their actions, because they don't practice what they preach. They tie onto people's backs loads that are heavy and hard to carry, yet they aren't willing even to lift a finger to help them carry those loads. They do everything so that people will see them. 
-Matthew 23.1-5

No comments:

Post a Comment