02 September 2011

Good Morning

The real problem of the Christian life comes where people do not usually look for it. It comes the very moment you wake up each morning. All your wishes and hopes for the day rush at you like wild animals. And the first job each morning consists simply in shoving them all back; in listening to that other voice, taking that other point of view, letting that other larger, stronger, quieter life come flowing in. And so on, all day. Standing back from all your natural fussings and frettings; coming in out of the wind. 
                                                  -C.S. Lewis, Mere Christianity 

It's so true, isn't it? You wake up and immediately think about what you need to do today. Your mind races, trying to compile the lists in your head. If I have vivid dreams like I have been experiencing lately, I will lay there for a minute or two and re-compile the dream in my head, trying to remember the details.
My next step is to grab an outfit from my closet. Sometimes that takes a little bit of thinking if I just stand there staring at my clothes and no ideas come to mind. 
I actually like mornings. It's a fresh start. New day. Plenty of time to do good things. My mind is clear. And my mind starts working really well after a cup of coffee.

Mornings can become a crazy hectic rush to get out the door for most people. Too much to do in a short time before work. I only have myself to get ready. No kids to feed and dress. So, I've got it pretty easy because I can sit and eat some cereal and yogurt before I head out.

I do prefer mornings as a reflection time. I love when I have time to brew some coffee, open my journal and Bible, and just enjoy the peace and quiet. My brain waking up, reading the Bible. There is no better thing.
Guten Morgen.

No comments:

Post a Comment