21 November 2014

Oxford in My Heart







Wishes are the memories coming from our future!
- Rainer Rilke

My heart longs for the cobbled streets of Radcliffe Square, the tall dreaming spires among many colleges in Oxford,  the cosy cafes where I can get a pot of tea and a scone, the warmth of used bookstores with so many hidden treasures, the misty mornings, very old buildings that hold a lot of tales and history, the fog-laden green landscapes, and all the beautiful walks and trails.

I cannot say that every single place in England is just to my liking, since I haven't been to every place, but I know many spots that are to my liking, specifically Oxford. Because I have been there on several occasions and spent time wandering the streets, the secret is open to me, and that only peaks my interest and makes my heart long for it even more. All the exploring I have done is not enough.

I also want to learn, That is the perfect place to learn, I think, At least for me. I already read copious amounts of books, dress like I am in prep school, and sit in coffee shops sipping cappuccinos and writing in my journal that I am usually mistaken as a student, but really it is not a mistake.

A dream held deep in the heart can be suppressed, but not forever. 


The longing hits me every now and then, and it cannot be ignored. It comes with memories of the past visits and visions of the future times my feet will trod along those familiar streets. Do you want to meet me on Broad Street for lunch? I know a few good spots. Oxford is a place that has always been on my heart, somehow, even before I first crossed the ocean. I think it is the way I was drawn to English writers, stories, movies, obsession with tea, teacups, cold weather, the Oxford comma, British English, and rolling hill landscapes. I didn't even try, but Oxford is in my heart.

No comments:

Post a Comment