11 November 2014

The Griffith Observatory: Los Angeles
















One of the best places to visit in Los Angeles is The Griffith Observatory. Not only does it have the best views of the city and the surrounding mountains (and the Pacific Ocean on a very clear day like this day), but it also houses important telescopes, a planetarium, and astronomy exhibits to indulge the science nerd in me.

It was also free, though be warned the parking lot is small and this is a very popular place to visit. We were smart by getting there early. I loved wandering around this spot. The rooftop also had access to see one of the telescopes, which is what I was secretly hoping for (I told you, there is a science nerd deep inside me). Downstairs, you can view displays on each planet, experience a camera obscura, and stand on a scale to see how much you would weigh on each planet. I think most of us liked that on Pluto, we weighed something like 4 pounds.


We even had lunch here, in the cafe on a lower level, with views. I had some tasty butternut squash soup. But really, the height and the views is what makes this place special, and also very important for science. The clear, dry air gives the telescopes the best views deep into space. Oh yea, and you get a clear view of the Hollywood sign.

No comments:

Post a Comment