03 November 2014

Hello Los Angeles












I have been in L.A. for several days now, and here is what I have learned about Los Angeles thus far.

- The residents don't ever see rain fall. I am here visiting my brother and sister-in-law and they haven't seen rain since the day they moved out here, almost six months ago. Until we arrived, where it rained overnight on our first night.

- Six lanes of traffic are never enough. I am amazed at how there are so many raised freeways in this area, countless freeways (talk about a concrete jungle!), and all of them have six lanes of traffic on each side, and it's still horribly backed up most of the day. The weekend was not nearly as crowded, though, and we did a lot of weekend driving. However, no matter the traffic, driving on the freeway is absolutely crazy. You cannot drive slowly here, or you will get run over. Speed limits are "suggestions". I have been driving a lot around this craziness and it is certainly an experience.

- The best coffee is found in the tiny coffee shops. Not the big name brand companies. On the first day, we found Créme Caramel, a tiny local bakery and coffee shop around the corner from the hotel. I had a delicious salted caramel latte and was served by Minnie Mouse (it was Halloween after all).

- This is the land of succulents and cacti. They are everywhere! I love it. The arid desert climate is a perfect atmosphere for them. Can I bring them home with me?

- Visiting the brother and sister-in law has been a good time. I am glad I brought my mom along for the ride. The new Californians live on the fourteenth floor of a building on Ocean Avenue, looking toward the Pacific Ocean in Santa Monica. More on our adventures to come.

No comments:

Post a Comment