01 May 2015

Drops of Faith


The simple truth is that if you had a mere drop of faith, a tiny seed, say, you would tell this mountain "move!" and it would move. There is nothing you wouldn't be able to tackle.
- Matthew 17.20

The rain and thunder shakes the morning up and as I grab my bags to hear out, an umbrella is necessary. I love the weather. I love how the rain refreshes the earth and the air. Concerning weather of the heart, that is part of life, too. Even the stormy times have a way of bringing about refreshment. Once we get through the drought, the rains come.

Why do we have such a hard time having a tiny bit of true faith sometimes? We go through our days relying on other things that are solid and tangible, like umbrellas, people, and even some intangible things like the comfortable predictability of our world that we have in our own little lives (which is ironic because we never know when change will strike).


Haven't we learned by now that all these things will eventually let us down? Don't we know that we cannot solely rely on the tangible? The only thing that will never let us down is God.

If we even had a drop of faith we are told that we could command a mountain to move. Most of us shrug our shoulders and say how unlikely that seems, which is where our faith falls short. But I think Jesus in His perfection could do that because of His true faith. This is where we should be looking: that all things are possible with God. It's not with us. It's with God. Since we are told to aim our lives to be like Jesus, we are to work toward that, even if we don't come close to reaching it. Along the way we will have gained many other things along with some drops of faith.

I would build a cloudy house
For my thoughts to live in,
When for earth too fancy-loose,
And too low for heaven:
Hush! I talk my dream aloud,
I build it bright to see-
I build it on the moonlit cloud
To which I looked with thee.

- Elizabeth Barrett Browning

No comments:

Post a Comment