22 July 2011

Beams of Love

I know not how it falls on me,
This summer evening, hushed and lone;
Yet the faint wind comes soothingly
With something of an olden tone.
-Emily Bronte, 1839

Are my prayers a little off? Am I asking for the wrong things or do I just need to remain in patience and faith? It's tough to know for sure, though Jesus tells us "until now you have asked nothing in my name. Ask, and you will receive, that your joy may be full." (John 16.24)

So, if I was truly asking in Jesus' name, shouldn't I see some sort of clue? Some piece? Maybe the piece is right in front of me and I am looking right through it like translucent glass. Or maybe I am too focused on a piece that I can't see the surrounding situations that are forming, framing, and grafting the puzzle together.

I don't want to be blocking any of God's 'beams of love', as William Blake called them. What I realize is- I might be doing that without much thought.

Prayer is about listening to God, as well as talking with Him. Why do I not do this more? Why would I chose to shut out the beams of love? Sometimes, I think we get so caught up in our own selves, it's borderline narcissistic. But it's not about you, or me.

No comments:

Post a Comment