06 July 2011

Oh How Sweet It Is In Highlands

Our home for the week, viewed from the lake

There is something about being in the mountains that makes me feel almost a million miles away from reality, where all the real life troubles just kind of fade to grey and I can breathe.

This morning I stepped outside the front door of our gorgeous house (ours for a week) in Highlands, North Carolina. Ryan and Sam were already sitting out on the porch in the rocking chairs. A lovely sweet scent greeted me as I stepped outside. A cool morning, hushed, and still. The flowers had just woken up and opened to the daylight, sharing their sweetness with us. I breathed deep.

Oh how sweet it is. The simple thing of the morning, where a new day is beginning and the dew is glistening and the birds waking and chatting with one another. Where the mist is lifting to let the sun come in between the tall trees. I brought my mug of coffee and my Bible out on the porch and sat on the rocking chair. I could have stayed there for a long while, and I would have if we weren't getting ready for a morning hike. So, I read 2 chapters in Hebrews, drank my coffee, and enjoyed the mountain morning.

No comments:

Post a Comment