23 July 2011

Passions Start Young

My Dad- old fashioned car wash
We develop our passions early in life. Think back to when you were a child (or teenager). I wanted to be able to write before I knew how to. I would scribble on paper, pretending I was writing sentences. Then, I dictated my first book to my Mom, who wrote out the story since I couldn't write. But I drew the pictures. I still have that first book somewhere. It was about a girl who lost her pumpkin on Halloween.

I love that my Mom found this photo of my Dad washing a car. It shows his early appreciation of cars and taking care of them. He was crazy about cars, especially BMWs. From the 1970s to his last day, he was passionate about the Ultimate Driving Machine. And I found that cars became a contrivance for my Dad and I to grow closer. As soon as I could drive and had my first car (a 1991 525i) he and I would wash it and wax it together and while we worked he would show me things about my car, which must have given him joy to talk cars with his only daughter. He would always ask about my life and what was going on with me. Over the years, it became so clear to me what special times those were, and our conversations grew in depth and diversity (though my waxing skills did not improve. Dad told me I was not very good).

Today, my Dad would have turned 64, and I celebrate with good memories, old photos that make me smile, and his love always in my heart.

No comments:

Post a Comment